There are no new cases of the novel coronavirus in Singapore as of 12pm on Saturday, Jan. 25, according to a press release by the Ministry of Health (MOH).

There have been three confirmed cases since Thursday, Jan. 23.

S’pore confirms 2 more cases of Wuhan coronavirus, 3rd in 2 days

64 suspect cases so far

MOH said it has been notified of a cumulative total of 64 suspect cases.

Out of these, 29 have tested negative for the virus, while three have tested positive.

Test results for the remaining 32 cases are pending.

Contact tracing still ongoing

MOH added that contact tracing for all three confirmed cases is ongoing.

Once identified, MOH will closely monitor all close contacts.

The contacts will be quarantined for 14 days since their last exposure to the patient as a precautionary measure.

As for identified contacts with a low risk of being infected, they will be placed under active surveillance, and will be contacted daily to monitor their health status, MOH added.

Close contacts of first confirmed case

46 close contacts of the first confirmed case, a 66-year-old Wuhan resident, have been identified.

According to MOH, as of 12pm on Saturday, Jan. 25, 26 of them have already left Singapore.

15 others have been contacted, and are now isolated or quarantined.

The close contacts of the first confirmed case included eight travelling companions who had left Singapore at about 12 pm on Jan. 23, before the first case was confirmed with the virus infection at 6pm.

MOH had informed the Malaysian authorities when the close contacts of the first confirmed case were identified from contact tracing.

M’sia confirms 3 cases of Wuhan virus, all related to S’pore’s 1st case

Close contacts of second confirmed case

MOH has also identified 57 close contacts of the second confirmed case involving a 53-year-old female Chinese national from Wuhan.

The 53-year-old lady arrived on a Scoot flight TR121 from Wuhan on Jan. 21 with one travelling companion, she stayed at J8 hotel, and visited the Orchard area, MBS and Gardens by the Bay.

Of the 57 individuals, two have left Singapore.

MOH has contacted 40 of the remaining 55 individuals, who are being quarantined at the moment.

MOH is working to contact the remaining 15 close contacts.

Close contacts of third confirmed case

The third confirmed case is a 37-year-old male Chinese national from Wuhan.

He is the son of the first confirmed case and has been isolated since Jan. 23 as he was symptomatic.

His close contacts are largely similar to the first confirmed case.

MOH has identified an additional three close contacts, and has contacted two so far.

Advisory from MOH

Given the “high volume of international travel to Singapore”, MOH said more suspect and imported cases are to be expected.

They urge the public to remain calm and vigilant, and to adopt good personal hygiene practices.

MOH also advises Singaporeans to avoid travelling to the whole of Hubei Province, where the majority of deaths in China have occurred.

Upon return to Singapore, all travellers are also advised to monitor their health closely for two weeks, and seek medical attention promptly should they feel unwell.

Here are the precautions travellers and members of the public should take at all times:

  • Avoid contact with live animals including poultry and birds, and consumption of raw and undercooked meats;
  • Avoid crowded places and close contact with people who are unwell or showing symptoms of illness;
  • Observe good personal hygiene;
  • Practise frequent hand washing with soap (e.g. before handling food or eating, after going to toilet, or when hands are dirtied by respiratory secretions after coughing or sneezing);
  • Wear a mask if you have respiratory symptoms such as a cough or shortness of breath;
  • Cover your mouth with a tissue paper when coughing or sneezing, and dispose the soiled tissue paper in the rubbish bin immediately; and
  • Seek medical attention promptly if you are feeling unwell.

Top image adapted via Wikipedia & WebMD





Source link