Accused in Orchard Towers murder who skipped court appearance re-arrested, back in court –

– Advertisement –

Singapore—After having jumped bail last month, 22-year-old Tan Hong Sheng, who is one of seven individuals charged in connection with the murder of Satheesh Noel Gobidass at Orchard Towers in July, was arrested again on September 26, Thursday, and was back in court the following day, where he also faced a separate charge for rioting.

Mr Tan is the youngest of the seven linked to the murder of Mr Satheesh. His co-accused individuals are Joel Tan Yun Sheng, age 26; Chan Jia Xing, age 26; Ang Da Yuan, age 26; Tan Sen Yang, age 28, Loo Boon Chong, age 25, and Natalie Siow Yu Zhen, age 23.

Mr Tan’s rioting charges stem from his allegedly being involved in an unlawful assembly along with four other individuals who gathered to inflict hurt on a man named Desmond Neo Zhao Fu, age 30.  This occurred at about 3:40 am August 9 just outside Club Secret at Central Mall in Magazine Road, when the accused was out on bail, according to a report from the Straits Times (ST).

Messrs Tan Hong Sheng, Loo Bong Chong and Chan Jia Xing had been initially accused of the murder following Mr Sateesh’s death, but the classification of the charge against them was later amended to consorting with a person carrying an offensive weapon in a public place, after which the three men were released on bail. Messrs Tan and Chan were each offered bail of S$25,000 while Mr Loo’s bail was set at S$15,000.

– Advertisement –

If they are found guilty, they could receive six strokes of the cane, as well as a maximum three-year jail sentence.

Messrs Loo and Chan reappeared in court on their scheduled date on August 29, but Tan Hong Sheng did not show up that day, after which a warrant of arrest was issued against him.

Their other four companions are still accused of murder with common intention and could receive the death penalty if convicted—Tan Sen Yang, Ang Da Yuan, Natalie Siow, and Joel Tan Yun Sheng.

Court documents show that they were with Tan Sen Yang, who allegedly had a folded “kerambit” knife (a curved knife which looks like a claw) on him on July 2 at the Naughty Girl Club in Orchard Towers.

Mr Sateesh was found motionless and lying in his own blood by the police at 6:25 am on July 2. Mr Satheesh was pronounced dead around an hour later when he was brought to Tock Seng Hospital.

Video footage from the scene showed a man walking in front of an escalator and then collapsing, with bystanders coming to his aid.

Mr Tan Hong Sheng is now in police custody at Central Police Division and will return to court on October 4, with Messrs Loo and Chan appearing in court again on October 10.

Their companions have been charged with murder, Ms Siow, and Messrs Joel Tan, Tan Seng Yang, and Ang, were sent in July to Changi Prison Complex’s medical centre for psychiatric evaluation.

Ms Siow was ordered to undergo three weeks of psychiatric evaluation at Changi Women’s Prison.

Another woman was at first thought to also have been involved in the case but she has not been charged for any offense./ TISG

Read related: Orchard Towers murder: Arrest warrant issued to accused who skipped court appearance

Orchard Towers murder: Arrest warrant issued to accused who skipped court appearance


– Advertisement –

Source link